Ransomware is a type of malware that denies a user’s access to a system or data until a sum of money is paid.
Watch this video to learn more about Ransomware from our cybersecurity expert Anne Genge
Some tips which can help you protect your patient data include:
- Commit to regular Cybersecurity Awareness Training for all staff
- Get help from a certified cybersecurity professional, not just an IT provider
- Encrypt all files which contain personnel identifiable health information (PII)
- Ensure you’re using security and IT software which has been tried and tested; in the case of one notable dental breach, they used bespoke software which was developed in-house.
- Regularly conduct cyber security audits to identify any weaknesses in your systems
- Implement and enforce policies regarding password management
- Have policies in place in case a breach does occur so you’re not scrambling at the last minute to figure out your responsibilities under the law
- Back up data regularly
- Consider purchasing cybersecurity insurance
Cybersecurity Essentials for Dental Teams
Cybersecurity awareness training that provides dental professionals with the skills needed to prevent breaches, ransomware, and data theft at work (and at home). Get immediate access and complete training in less than 40 minutes.